The Directorate of Food, Civil Supplies and Consumer Affairs, J&K is responsible for the formulation of policies for Monitoring Prices, availability of all essential commodities, Consumer Movement in the State and Controlling of statutory bodies like Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) and Weights and Measures. The Office of the Assistant Director, Food, Civil Supplies and Consumer Affairs, Budgam functions under the Directorate of Food, Civil Supplies and Consumer Affairs Kashmir. The Office enforces the Essential Commodities Act 1955 and controls orders issued. There under to ensure proper control of the Supply various distribution, trade and commerce in certain commodities. The Department also administers the Targeted Public Distribution (TPDS) which is an important constituent of the strategy for Food Security to the population of Below Poverty Line.
The main motives of the Department are:
- To strengthen the Targeted Public Distribution System (TPDS).
- To ensure easy availability of Essential Commodities on reasonable rates.
- To create awareness amongst the consumers about their rights.
The objectives are achieved through a network of Sale Outlets across the District and thus a population of 7.35 Lac is being provided food grains (Rice, Atta Sugar) under National Food Security Act 2013 (NFSA-2013) and Mufti Mohammed Sayeed Food Entitlement Scheme (MMSFES) throughout the length and breadth of the District. The food grains are distributed through a network of 552 Sale outlets, out of which 232 are Government run Sale Outlets and 320 Fair Price Shops on commission basis. Besides, the office is authorized to monitor the sale of K-Oil, LPG and Petroleum Products and speedy redressal of grievances especially related to essential commodities. The detail of achievements are here as under:
- Digitization of Ration Cards: An overall number of 174305 Ration Cards have been digitized by the Department during the year 2016 and are accordingly provided food grains under various categories viz. AAY, BPL, PHH and NPHH.
- Distribution of food grains through a network of 552 Sale Outlets: The food grains are distributed through a network of 552 Sale outlets, out of which 232 are Government run Sale
- Outlets and 320 Fair Price Shops on commission basis and door step delivery of food grains is being provided.
- Installation of PoS Devices: In order to distribute food grains transparently, 367 PoS
- Devices have been installed at various Sale Outlets/ Fair Price Shops.
- Installation of Digital Weighing Scales: To avoid under scaling, Digital Weighing Scales have been installed at various Sale Outlets.